1/6/13

Measure Twice


There’s an old saying that veteran seamstresses are fond of quoting: measure twice, cut once. In other words, it pays to be patient and have a complete set of information. I learned this lesson the hard way when it came to decorating my apartment. I was so caught up in the excitement of decorating my own bedroom that I may have gotten just a teensy, tiny bit carried away...

You see, first apartments usually happen to be pretty small. Which is fine at this stage of one’s life, really. I have no need for a personal study or an entertainment room. In fact, I would even venture to say that there are upsides to a small apartment, for example, it encourages you to get out and meet people!

However, small apartments should come with a warning label. WARNING: This room will not fit a giant bed, oversized dresser, bookshelf, desk, and chair – unless your intent is to build a furniture themed obstacle course.

Thankfully, I was holding off on a few of those purchases until after move-in day. Unfortunately, I bought a bed much earlier that is just a bit too large for the room. A disaster? No. But definitely something I would do over if I got the chance.

So, consider this a lesson learned. Throw a measuring tape in your purse while shopping and remember to think twice about oversized purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment